Monday, April 14, 2014

Failed practical driving test. Should I appeal? What chance do I have?

Details on myself -
- I'm 18
- I wear glasses and contact lenses
- I've just lost my job as an Estate Agent.

Basically I woke up first thing on a monday morning, gave my driving instructor £50 for his time and to borrow his car for my practical test. I'd already paid the £63 to the DVLA to take the test as well.
I arrive and they take me outside to do the eye test.

First car I couldn't read as the plate was too dirty. I told him this, I asked if I could read the car beside as I could see that fine. He said no. 4 attempts later and they take me to the other side of the car park. "Kyle this is going to be your last attempt if you fail you're not safe to drive"… I think that fine. Until I see the car they want me to read again. The sun was blinding the entire plate and I couldn't read it again. I inform them of this and ask to read the car next to it (same distance again). They say no, the superviser and examiner are both standing right behind be pressuring me to say the number plate.
I tell them over and over I just can't see it because the sun is across it. They continue to pressure me to "Just make my best guess"… Of course I got it wrong. I walk out after being so frustrated I've just lost £113 for no reason.

But then it gets good. They revoke my drivers licence for 8 weeks. My boss fires me because he can't wait 8 weeks for me to start driving. And I went and got my eyes checked. I pass driving standards without my contacts in.

Added (1). If I pass driving standards and can see fine from my opticians point of view without glasses on, and I have "20/20 vision" with my glasses or contacts in is there a case?
I've lost my job over this and was also offered an interview for a job in Brighton as an Estate Agent that they changed their minds on when they found out I couldn't drive.

I can't pay bills now and this has completely screwed me over. I just don't think the examiners were at all fair if I could read the cars either side.

Added (2). If I pass driving standards and can see fine from my opticians point of view without glasses on, and I have "20/20 vision" with my glasses or contacts in is there a case?
I've lost my job over this and was also offered an interview for a job in Brighton as an Estate Agent that they changed their minds on when they found out I couldn't drive.

I can't pay bills now and this has completely screwed me over. I just don't think the examiners were at all fair if I could read the cars either side.

Added (3). Last update. Can we just bare in mind that in order to appeal this I need to take a government run agency to court. Now I'm just a kid but I don't know how freaking well that's going to go in my favour at all. Not to mention that's going to cost me around a minimum of £100 of which I obviously don't now have.

Read more: Failed practical driving test. Should I appeal? What chance do I have?