Friday, July 26, 2013

NEED GUIDANCE. Should I bother finishing university or just go into the job market?

Hello! I'll cut right to the point- I want to pursue screenwriting as a means of employment, hopefully writing for television series' and work my way up to creating features-- if possible. I understand that it is an EXTREMELY competitive field but I do not have any other career aspirations besides writing and I want to, at least, spend my life trying to do something that I enjoy.

The problem is my education, and where I currently reside. I live in Canada and have not yet finished my bachelors, despite the fact that I am 23. Medical issues slowed me down, but now that they've been resolved I'm at least moving forward, but I'm not that interested in traditional subjects in university. I have a wide array of interests, and will read up on everything from art to zoology on my own, so specializing in a narrow field such as English, which I am currently enrolled in, isn't very interesting-- especially since it seems to focus less on developing your writing skills and more on attaining a literary lens of thinking through which to focus your thoughts to prepare for graduate school. I do not plan on attending graduate school.

This is a problem because I feel, at this point, that it's slowing me down. I'd be 27 by the time I finish school.

I want to get started in my field, as you don't go from nothing to paid screenwriter without paying years of dues. Although I can't pack my bags and move to L. A, I do have the opportunity of moving to Toronto (Hollywood North, haha) and start working there as an Office P. A-- albeit for minimal pay. But, I'm thinking it would at least be a step in the right direction and would allow me to start making contacts, which are nonexistent in the small city that I live in.It would also give me some more life experience to work with, as a creative outlet, which I feel I'm sorely lacking in by staying in my hometown doing nothing much but studying.

But, I could be wrong on all accounts. I need some help from you all. What should I do? Can anyone give me some advice? Should I maybe be considering switching to a screenwriting degree/diploma before I head off and work from there?
Added (1). Had to re-post original question due to typo that made me look like a dunce,
Added (2). If anyone has any additional questions, do not be afraid to ask! Looking for helpful answers.

См. статью: NEED GUIDANCE. Should I bother finishing university or just go into the job market?