Saturday, April 2, 2016

Is swimming without corrective glasses very bad for people with severe myopia?


Hello,

I suffer from degenerative myopia since a very young age. My recent prescription is -26.50 dtr. OD and -18.00 OS. Luckily, I only have a minor cylinder in my prescription.

OD: -26.50 Sph., -4.75 Cyl., *40 Axis, 35.50 PD, 20/110 Corrected visual acuity
OS: -18.00 Sph., -2.25 Cyl., *90 Axis, 32.00 PD, 20/70 Corrected visual acuity

I wore contact lenses till about three years ago, which was very convenient because I really enjoy swimming. I always wore swimming goggles over my contact lenses, so this was very convenient at that time.

I am not able to wear contact lenses anymore due to several problems with my eyes. I am recently just wearing very strong corrective glasses.

I still visit the swimming pool about three times a week though, just because I enjoy it very much and I am actually quite good at it. The problem is that I am always obliged to take of my glasses at the pool. I leave them on a bench or sometimes even in my locker. This leaves me practically blind, everything around me is just a huge blur. My teammates cope with this very well and they support wherever they can.
I am just wondering if this habit of taking my corrective glasses of and swimming in chloride water is problematic for my eyesight in the long term?

Read more: Is swimming without corrective glasses very bad for people with severe myopia?