Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Need advice on how to deal with this?

Ok I'm 14 turning 15 soon and going into grade 10 in September, I guess at this age is when most teenage girls begin to get harassed. About a year ago I began being harassed, I had only one incident before the one I'm about to mention that really made me feel uncomfortable. What scares me is that even when I'm in stores with my mom they still harass me (and I wonder what I would do if I was alone), actually my mom is the one who started to notice it, she brought it to my attention that men were always checking me out, and being extremely helpful and friendly only when I was in the store with her. I haven't ever minded when the men were always being helpful and friendly because they weren't bothering me, but the other day I went to go get myself some more contact lenses and a new pair of glasses with my mom and soon after that became extremely uncomfortable. The man who was helping me was being helpful and friendly but not a nice kind of friendly, I never told him my name but by looking on the computer quickly learned it and began saying my name and asking me to go around with him to look at glasses and he was always standing right next to me (like our arms were touching) each time I would move back. When he would choose glasses he would try to put them on my face, he made me feel very uncomfortable and made my mom feel like he would have done something if she wasn't there. I was just wondering what I should do in a situation like this, like how should I assert myself.

Read more: Need advice on how to deal with this?