Sunday, June 7, 2015

Why does the you're beautiful the way you are movement only apply to women?


I am a guy, 27, and I am rarely deemed as "attractive". I stand at 5'5". I am not "fat", but I am not in shape or athletic. I have struggled with acne. I wear glasses. I lost some hair between ages 22-25. I started going grey last year. I shop for my clothes at Target and TJ Maxx. I drive a 2007 Prius.

Could I lose weight and become thin? Yes.
Could I take Accutane and get my acne treated? Yes.
Could I use rogaine or get a hair transplant? Sure.
Could I use "Just for Men" to get rid of grey? Sure.
Could I get LASIK or use contact lenses? Sure.
Could I wear the most expensive clothing? Yep.

But WHY SHOULD I?

I don't want to live in the gym. As long as I am healthy, that's ok. I don't want to take Accutane. I've heard of some DISTASTROUS results from that. I also don't want to throw away money on rogaine, just-for-men, a hair transplant, LASIK, expensive clothing, or a fancy car. I'd rather save for a house.

People tell me "then don't expect any girls to be attracted to you." I get told that certain girls are "out of my league" or that "what makes you think she'd be attracted to you", or "you wished you looked like that guy."

In this day and age, you would NEVER make the above statements to a girl. So why is it acceptable to make it to a guy? While it is true that many women will over look me in favor of other guys, why should I change myself just for their benefit? Isn't beauty in the eye of the beholder?

Read more: Why does the you're beautiful the way you are movement only apply to women?