Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Big jump from no prescription?


Went to the optometrist for the first time in a while and was quite surprised by the results of the various tests. The doctor's assistant kept asking whether I had worn glasses before when she saw the prescription the machine printed out. She also wrote that my VA is 20/100 in my right eye and 20/200 in my left.

The doctor said that my prescription is not too mild and that nobody goes from 0 to my prescription overnight. She said I should wear glasses more or less all the time except when I'm at home doing nothing that requires me to see far away.

The prescription is -1.75 in both eyes. Is this really bad or was the reaction just hype?
Added (1). She also said that most people get glasses much sooner than I did but that my progression was understandable because my older sister also became nearsighted at a relatively late stage and now wears -7 lenses.
Added (2). She said my eyes probably started getting bad two years ago!
Added (3). Yeah, I was kinda surprised as well but I think she didn't want to go up to -2 in the left eye because I could read the 20/20 line with both eyes open.
Added (4). Just -1.75 in the left eye. No other numbers. I guess I could sort of see the 20/200 line if I really squinted but it was very blurry. My guess is that the doctor thought the right eye was seeing perfectly so the left could be kept at -1.75 without any problems?

Read more: Big jump from no prescription?