Friday, July 10, 2015

Peeling skin off of leopard geckos face?


I just picked up a leopard gecko off of some guy on Craigslist because it needed to be out of there ASAP. The poor thing is lethargic and running into things because it's eyes(and top of head in general) were covered by a hood of a couple layers of unshedded skin. I peeled one side of it off successfully and the eye underneath looks healthy and bright and open with no gunk or anything. However the other side is a bit more difficult… I got it wet with a drop of water before trying to peel and there is this clear gooey stuff that is pulling from the eye. I'm concerned this could be his eye lens. It doesn't seem swollen and he's trying to lick at it now but I feel he could just be licking at the water because in his original water dish he was housed with was full of mucky nasty water with a film over it. Very hard to bite my tongue when I went to go pick him up but he is out of that environment now which was my goal. Should I take him to the vet? Should I try to flush the area with water again? Or mineral oil (I use mineral oil to help my ball python when his eyes don't shed properly)? Take him to the vet?

Read more: Peeling skin off of leopard geckos face?