Monday, September 22, 2014

Can astigmatism be corrected or treated in adults?

I was born mostly blind in my left eye due to astigmatism. From the time I was 2 until I was 14 I wore corrective lenses and eye patches. A pattern was used wherein my good eye was patched for a month to strengthen the bad eye and then my bad eye was patched for a month of rest. At age 14, the ophthalmologist said that my eyes had matured to a point where they could no longer make any corrections and that I would need reading glasses as an adult.
At age 31, I do have reading glasses that only seem to help when I am tired… I rely almost solely on my good eye which has 20/20 vision. My bad eye has 60/20 vision; basically everything is blurry and I have no depth perception in that eye. My optometrist says that there is very little astigmatism and that I am merely a little farsighted.
I have to wonder though - has science advanced enough in 16 years that my "bad eye" could be made better? Perhaps I should seek the advice of an ophthalmologist just to be sure?

Read more: Can astigmatism be corrected or treated in adults?