Sunday, September 10, 2017

How bad is it to extend disposable contact lens life?

I'm using monthly disposable soft lenses. My ophthalmologist recommends replacing them every month. But I've regularly used one pair for 4 months, sometimes even 6 months. I've been doing this for last 14 years now. I don't wear them constantly- I use them for about 10 to 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, and rub+rinse+soak them in opti-free every night.

My ophthalmologist doesn't know I'm doing this. I go for routine checkups once every year, and he's never found a problem with my eyes.

Realistically, is it that important to replace contact lenses on a routine planned schedule? If I've not had a problem in 14 years, it doesn't seem like I'm significantly increasing the risk of eye diseases by not following the replacement schedule. Perhaps I will get an infection some time in the future, but then every contact lens user will probably get one infection after 14+ years using them.

Read more: How bad is it to extend disposable contact lens life?