Saturday, June 3, 2017

Is it absolutely necessary to switch to silicone lenses?

I've been using contacts since 1999. Started with yearly lenses that came in small glass bottles, and then in 2005 my doctor switched me to monthly disposables that come in blister packs. All my lenses were normal (old technology) lenses, and I was very comfortable in them. I've never slept wearing the lenses, followed my doctor's guidelines to the dot, and have never had a single eye infection in all these years.

Now, I have a problem. I go for routine checkups once every year- although my power has remained stable for almost 10 years now but my doc said since I use contacts I must come once every year to make sure everything's fine. My old doctor has moved to a new city half way across the nation and I'm forced to see a new doctor. This new doctor immediately discarded my old prescription and switched me to silicone lenses (new technology). And these new ones don't quite feel right. I have lens awareness- I can feel the lenses in my eyes. After 15 days of trial he checked my eyes again and said everything's fine and this feeling of lens in eyes will disappear after a while, and wrote me a one year prescription.

It's been 3 months, and the strange feeling is still present. To top it off, my left eye is beginning to hurt AFTER removing the lens. And just now when I checked in the mirror, I see a white circular ring around the colored part of the eye- it's like the lens is leaving an impression on the white part of the eye, where the edge of the lens sits.
Added (1). I went back to him after 15 days of trial, and the white ring on "sclera" was not present back then- i just saw it today after 3 months of wear- that's probably the reason why my new doc didn't understand it's a wrong fit. But he checked the lens fit using his instruments- even without the pressure-ring present, wouldn't he still be able to understand the lens is not a proper fit? Weird. Perhaps I need to see a different doctor. I miss my old doc, he was excellent:-(

Read more: Is it absolutely necessary to switch to silicone lenses?