Monday, October 23, 2017

Is PRK eye surgery possible for my high prescription?

I'm going in for a PRK consultation in 3 weeks and I can't help but stress over it due to the possibility of being turned down because of my high prescription. I have severe myopia (nearsightedness) -10.00 in one eye and -9.00 in the other. I also have astigmatism. I wear contacts and glasses and even with them on my eyesight isn't the best so maybe my true prescription is even higher. This is why I can't even consider getting LASIK because that won't work for my prescription. I've been looking for answers all over and can't find much about PRK being done on people who have my type of prescription. All I really see is that there's an increased risk for complications when it comes to high prescriptions and since they're rarely done there isn't much information or studies on it compared to all of the studies on regular patients. Also, I looked into the lens implant which is a surgery for high prescriptions but I can't get that because it doesn't treat astigmatism. I won't be able to afford getting that done on top of getting another surgery done to correct the astigmatism. I can only afford one surgery and PRK is my only hope. I need it for 3 reasons… 1. I want to have a career in law enforcement as a police officer (I need atleast 20/30 corrected vision 2. My vision isn't even 20/30 with glasses or contacts 3. Contacts give me dry eyes and they cause irritation, but glasses also give me problems as well such as tension headaches and getting dirty every 10 minutes.

Read more: Is PRK eye surgery possible for my high prescription?