Sunday, June 4, 2017

Did my optometrist incorrectly diagnose me with an astigmatism?

I went to a new optometrist around 1 month ago, and was given a predictable increase with my prescription. However, this time around one eye was diagnosed with astigmatism of around 0.25. I'd never seen astigmatism before on any previous eye exam, so I questioned him about it. He assured me that his testing revealed an astigmatism in my right eye. So I trusted him and had the lenses made.

Now I find it extremely uncomfortable to focus on ANYTHING close by (1 ft away or less), and words in general at all distances. I get double vision or extreme discomfort when I try to focus, I feel like I'm going cross eyed. I also find it very difficult to concentrate on reading words in print or focusing on small details. My eyes get very fatigued. I noticed that when I cover one eye to read, the discomfort disappears and I can also focus on this in close range to see macro details like I was able to see before. But once both eyes are in the picture, I'm a mess. This has never happened before. I remember that in the eye exam he tested my prescription for each eye and tested lenses for each eye, but he never tested me with both eyes together afterwards. My old glasses are not very clear at distance (predictably), but removes all discomfort when looking at things at close range.

Do I have some kind of vision problem related to my high prescription (around -7 in each eye) leading to loss of near vision when wearing glasses, or did he give me an incorrect diagnosis of astigmatism?

Read more: Did my optometrist incorrectly diagnose me with an astigmatism?