Wednesday, December 2, 2015

What are contact lenses made of?

I wear rigid gas permeable lenses… Have since 1990. However, i hear that most people wear disposable lenses now and that the "old school" lenses" are considered intolerable by most.

I heard an actor make a comment recently about plastic lenses (circa mid-1980s, hand-painted). Are these different from the lenses I wear every day?

Although many will cringe, I have found that popping a lens out and "cleaning" it with my tongue is a quite effective way to solve lens discomfort. Any thoughts?
Added (1). Cecilia - i find that if i put pressure on my lenses when they hurt, it helps to assuage any pain. I generally bike to work during the non-winter months.

optometrists have told me that the "hard" lenses i wear help to keep the curvature of my eye from changing

Read more: What are contact lenses made of?