Monday, May 18, 2015

Is there a relationship between weight gain and vision loss in women?


I have observed that almost all of my obese/overweight friends need glasses to see while fewer of my fit friends do. I also noticed that I also began wearing glasses for myopia a few months after I gained weight. One of my friends said there could be three reasons for my observations:

1). Larger women have lower self esteem and are less likely to use contact lenses because they don't care about their appearance

2). Larger women are more sedentary. They are not active in the sunlight, they spend more time doing close work or watching TV

3). Girls often gain weight during puberty and women gain weight during pregnancy. Vision changes are common at these times.

Are these ideas correct?

I personally was 160 lbs before puberty and didn't need glasses. During puberty I ballooned to 220 lbs and started wearing -2.50 glasses full time.

Read more: Is there a relationship between weight gain and vision loss in women?