Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Will using a slightly higher power damage the eyes?

I have a prescription of -5.25 in both eyes. Ordered contact lenses online, and they sent me a box of -5.50. I opened the box without reading the numbers printed on it, and noticed the power was wrong only after opening a blister pack. Now they won't take it back as the box has been opened.

I'm not facing any problems with the higher power- if anything, i can see much better with these lenses, distant signs and billboards are much sharper, blacks are more black, whites are more bright, and colors are more well-defined. And near vision is same as with the older (weaker) lenses as per my prescription. No eye pain and no headache yet (been using these lenses for 2 days, today is the 3rd day).

If I keep using these higher power lenses, will I cause permanent damage to the eyes? Will this cause a permanent increase in the power of corrective lenses required?

Read more: Will using a slightly higher power damage the eyes?