Friday, August 4, 2017

Is this an unethical sales tactic?

so I'm selling a lens. I asked it as $450 and had two people contact me. There names are lets say, Bob and Steve. Bob messaged me first, saying he d like to come and have a look on Monday, which worked for me. Very shortly after, Steve messaged me as well saying he was willing to pay the full $450 and would like to look on Sunday. That also worked for me. I decided that I would let them both look, if they both saw it, decided they liked it and were willing to pay he full $450, the lens goes to Bob as he is first in line. However, if they both look and Steve is willing to pay $450, but Bob is only willing to pay, say $350, it's in my best interest to sell it to Steve instead as he is offering more. I told Bob that I had another buyer interested, but he was first in line, unless Steve offers more, which Bob was very upset over and said it was an unethical sales tactic. I do see where he is coming from, but is it not just a standard thing in sales to go with the higher offer? Is this actually so unbelievable and unethical of me?

Read more: Is this an unethical sales tactic?